As the winds of winter begin to swirl, baseball season seems a distant memory. But in Cooperstown, New York, we’re just getting warmed up!
Winter in Cooperstown offers a diverse variety of fun-filled activities, stunning events and wonderful attractions. The loud crack of wooden bats is replaced with the soft crackling of candles at the Farmers’ Museum’s Candlelight Evening, or the sizzle of winter specials at the Hawkeye Grill in the Otesaga Resort Hotel.
Take advantage of the seasonal nature of baseball tourism by visiting Cooperstown in a quieter time of the year. There are shows, exhibits and wonderful restaurants to explore during your stay, without the hustle and bustle that the summer season can bring.
Here are some of the top activities you should visit Cooperstown in the winter for:
- Movies and Pie, Oh My! At the Otesaga Resort Hotel: what could be better than movies and pie? Enjoy delicious dessert and classic holiday films on Thursdays in December.
- Wassailing Weekends at the Fly Creek Cider Mill: learn how to prepare wassail, a traditional community hot cider meant to promote good health and to keep warm!
- Candlelight Evening at the Farmers’ Museum: the Candlelight Evening is one of Cooperstown’s most beautiful, charming and incredible winter events. Stroll through the Farmers’ Museum grounds, lit up by pathways of candles and enjoy the intrinsic allure of Cooperstown in the winter.
- Specials at the Hawkeye Bar & Grill: Cozy up fireside at the Hawkeye and enjoy multiple specials including Friday lunch specials throughout the winter season!
- Santa comes to Cooperstown: nothing says the holiday season quite like a visit from jolly old Saint Nick himself. When Santa comes to Cooperstown, bring the kids along and come eat breakfast with him at the Otesaga!
- Cooperstown Concert Series at the Otesaga Resort Hotel: the Cooperstown Concert Series is bringing an eclectic mix of unforgettable performances to the Otesaga this winter. For a full listing of shows and artists, you can read further on our previous blog (LINK).
- Prime time at the Hall of Fame: see heroes and history at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, without the big crowds of summertime!
- A Christmas Carol at the Farmers’ Museum: Catch a classic holiday tale produced in-house by Glimmer Globe Theatre.
- Canvas & Corks at the Otesaga Resort Hotel: enjoy fantastic wine as you are lead through a painting class with local Cooperstown artist Susan Jones Kenyon.
With shorter lines, breathtaking views, and a slower pace, a winter Getaway to Cooperstown is the perfect break in the routine. It’s a fantastic time of year to enjoy the charming character of our amazing town.