[Skip to Content]Privacy Policy
Cooperstown, NY Gracious Hospitality since 1909
60 Lake St, Cooperstown, New York 13326
  • BOOK
The Otesaga Resort Hotel History


The Otesaga exudes the charm and gracious hospitality of a bygone era. A magnificent Federal-style edifice with an imposing front portico supported by massive 30-foot columns, The Otesaga occupies 700 feet of lakefront on the southern shore of Lake Otsego, the famed "Glimmerglass" of James Fenimore Cooper's novels.
In its origin, The Hotel was the vision of Edward Severin Clark and Stephen Carlton Clark, two grandsons of Cooperstown's prominent benefactor, Edward Clark. The family's other building projects included the famed Dakota apartment house on Central Park West.
The brothers turned to Percy Griffin, a noted New York architect, to design The Hotel, which was universally praised for its sumptuous appointments and modern engineering. Among the marvels: 400 windows, a refrigerator that was cooled with 30 tons of ice, telephones in each room and central heating that could be individually adjusted. Most impressive, noted the local newspaper, was "the carriage drive, where the largest touring cars may pass each other with perfect convenience."
Realizing its wealthy guests would also want to play golf, a relatively new American pastime, the Clark family tapped one of the country's preeminent golf course designers, Devereux Emmet, to design the Leatherstocking Golf Course adjacent to The Hotel. Still rated one of the finest on the East Coast, it is one of The Otesaga's top attractions.
Today, The Otesaga is still owned by the Clark family and employs hundreds of residents throughout the county. The Hotel affords guests a captivating setting for exploring Cooperstown's cultural institutions - the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Fenimore Art Museum, and The Farmers' Museum - as well as an array of recreational facilities.
Learn more about the history of The Otesaga in this informative newspaper article published by The Otsego Farmer on July 16, 1909.

About The Otesaga

The Otesaga, a 132-room resort, has appealed to travelers visiting Cooperstown's historic attractions for more than a century. The Otesaga has combined gracious hospitality, first-rate accommodations and fine dining since 1909. Home to the top-rated, 18-hole Leatherstocking Golf Course, The Otesaga was voted one of the "Top 50 U.S. Golf Resorts" by Condé Nast Traveler. The Otesaga offers two first-class dining options as well as an array of sports and recreational facilities, including a heated outdoor pool, fitness room, lake swimming, canoes and rowboats, and tennis courts. A member of the Historic Hotels of America and a AAA Four-Diamond hotel, it is open from mid-April through Thanksgiving weekend. The Hotel is available to groups during the off-season who book at least 50 rooms per night.

About Cooperstown

Cooperstown houses an unspoiled repository of America's heritage, rich in history, art, architecture and natural beauty. Some of the village's key attractions include the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Fenimore Art Museum, The Farmers' Museum, the Glimmerglass Festival and the Leatherstocking Golf Course. A convenient getaway distance from New York, Boston, Philadelphia and other Northeastern and mid-Atlantic cities, Cooperstown is easily accessible by car, rail and air. For directions to The Otesaga Resort Hotel, please visit the Location & Directions.